Friday, February 20, 2009

You've got a friend in me.

I try to not be a complainer. I try to 'look on the bright-side'. I think if I didn't, I would go down. Hard.
Miles has been having an 'off' couple of weeks. He has been getting notes home that say things like, 'Miles needed a lot of extra sensory input today.'
Which means he is doing a lot of flapping and running and squeezing. He also started having accidents at school this week. He has been potty trained for over three years and I can't tell you the last time he had an accident. Until now. Four. This week. Three at school.
I took him to the doctors thinking maybe a UTI? I was reaching. Grasping at straws. Trying to supply the school with an explanation.
It was a no go. Sorry, no medical explanation.
I wish I could sit him down and say, "Hey look. Unfortunately you already have a long road ahead of you. The last thing you need is to be known at school as the pee-pants kid."
I know this seems harsh. But, that is how much I love him. As much as I want him to succeed academically, I also want him to be accepted socially. I want him to have a friend on the playground.
When I was in high school, there was this kid. His name was Lucas. He was tall and strong and he used to move his fingers in front of his eyes. Sometimes he would reach out and try to touch you. I was afraid of him. Looking back now I am certain he was autistic. Just like Miles.
I had a friend who wasn't afraid. She would always say hi to him. She would yell at people who teased him. I pray every day that Miles has someone like her to be his friend at school. Someone who is braver than I was back then.
I am making up for it now. I am not scared any more. I am so proud to be his mom. I bet Lucas' Mom felt the same way.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Kim, I love you. This got me all teary-eyed.

    Devote this weekend to steamrolling. Can you put him in GoodNights for school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, this was a sweet post and I really feel for you. Your son is lucky to have you as his mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: We have several things in common! I love Jen's blog too (Diagnosis Urine) and I also love photography and am trying to learn more about it (I'd like to at least be able to call myself an amateur photographer!).

    ReplyDelete