Monday, February 2, 2009

The dreaded IEP

Today is a day that I always dread, probably always will. We have to go in and update my son's IEP (individual education plan). Now, please do not assume that I dread this day because I don't like to be involved in my son's education. That is not the case. At all.
I dread it because I feel like I have to sit in front of these educators and prove that my son is worthy of being included in a 'typical' classroom and is worthy of being taught by a 'typical' teacher. It takes everything I have to not stand up and shout, "here is a compliant willing learner, he causes no trouble. Look past the IEP and do your damn job and teach him!"
That probably would make some people uncomfortable though. And, maybe embarrass my husband, who is a teacher. And I am all about not rocking the boat. So, I try really hard not to shout at anyone.
We had three wonderful years of 'special needs' preschool. The teacher was awesome and we never had to prove the worth of our son to anybody. So, we were taken aback when the school fought us on having him in the regular kindergarten classroom. We kept pushing though and they finally agreed.
He is now, according to his teachers, doing a fabulous job as a 'typical' kindergartner. Hitting all his marks for reading, writing, and even early math comprehension. They love having him in the classroom.
Yet, I was informed today that the first grade teachers are not sure a child with autism would be a good fit for the first grade curriculum and he will probably need to spend most of his day in the resource room.
WTH. Here we go again. So, we are gearing up again, to prove AGAIN, that our son is a fine fit for any teacher who is willing to teach him.
I will let you know how it goes.
I just don't think any parent should have to fight so hard for their kid to be included in any classroom. My son is more than capable. I would never put him in a position that I thought was setting him up for failure. I hope everyone at the meeting can see that.
Also, I have to include this because I thought it was funny. The APE (adaptive physical education) teacher included on my son's IEP progress report that, "Miles continues to move closer to the wall to make throwing the ball and catching it on it's bounce back easier".
Well, duh. That's just smart thinking!

3 comments:

  1. That sucks that they are giving you a hard time when he obviously no trouble (and thriving) in a regular classroom.

    You know my sister's husband is a special education teacher, right? If they aren't receptive to what you want, maybe he could help you prepare for another round. I don't know. I hate that you have to fight to get your kid the standard stuff everyone else gets without even having to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that Adrienne's husband was a special ed teacher. That is awesome. Is he in elementary, middle or highschool? So, I am guessing that you already knew about the special needs pre-k? I hope you didn't think I was crazy for suggesting that option.
    The meeting went well. We have his kidergarten teacher on our side this time around. She was willing to say that he does belong in a typical classroom.
    The special education coordinator however, loves to interject that "well he is autistic" into every sentence. UGH!
    As of now he is in the 1ST grade room with an aide and one pull-out to make sure he is comprehending everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those IEP meetings! They make me sweat and have to run to the bathroom several times before I head out the door, sometimes cry, clam up, or talk more quickly and frantically than normal. My husband is a teacher too, which is nice because you can kind of see things from the school's perspective a little more clearly. I have had similar fantasies where I act crazy in these meetings. They are one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had on Earth.

    ReplyDelete