Tuesday, February 3, 2009

IEP update and other junk

The IEP was not quite as bad as anticipated. We did have to do some negotiating, but as of right now we are happy with his plan.
His kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Owen, was a life-saver. I must remember to send her a thank you note. She repeatedly noted that he was doing a great job in her classroom and did not hinder her ability to focus on the other kids in any way.
That is the thing. I would understand the hesitance to integrate him if he had severe behavior issues, but he doesn't. He is a great kid that wants to learn. As it stands now, he will be integrated into a typical 1ST grade room with an aide and one pull-out for special ed. services per day.
I am happy.


On another note. Do you ever feel like the world is trying to drop you a hint? Over the past couple of months I have been asked by two separate people if I would like to join the gym with them, one asked if I would like to join weight watchers, my Mom asks me once a week if I have checked out the FIT.tv channel and my MIL bought me a Wii fit. I'm sorry were trying to tell me something? Am I missing the point here?
WTF. Then to top it all off, the damn Wii fit confirmed mine (and apparently everyone else) suspicions. I am old and fat.
HELLO, thank you very much Wii fit. I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of using a Wii fit, but it will track your 'fitness age' and BMI for you. Lovely.
I am going to try and heed the warning of the mighty Wii (and my doctor)and realize it is time to loose some serious weight.
The truth is I have been uncomfortable in my own skin for a long time now. I am hoping that by writing about it I will be more likely to do something about it.
I am unhealthy, I am uncomfortable, I am going to make the choice to change.
Wish me luck. Also, please note that any tips and or suggestions as well as general showing of support are fully welcomed!

3 comments:

  1. You have my support and I hope that you can keep with it. My motivation seems to come and go (mostly go) so I will pray that yours will stay and maybe virtually rub off on me.
    Glad your IEP went well. I know that so often it's a dreaded thing for a parent. Believe me, it's often a dreaded thing for the teacher too. Not b/c of the parent, but b/c so often what we as the sped teacher think is the right thing, the administration doesn't want to try or pay for. Glad everything worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your meeting went well, and I hope next year will be as fun and productive for him as it sounds like this year has been so far.

    On the fitness thing, what are you going to do? I've heard people say the Wii fit programs work... We don't have a Wii Fit and I want one but could never justify the cost since I don't do ANYTHING. When do people have time? We have a treadmill I use very rarely, and I bought some Tracy Anderson Post-Pregnancy Workout DVD and have done it exactly once. I guess I'd recommend it, though -- it's not a lot of cardio so it isn't loud, if you're doing it after bedtime or during a kid's nap... and I DEFINITELY felt it the next day. I think it's probably about as easy as it can get for a beginner (that would be me) and have you still see results. I definitely felt it in my abs the next day, and since the twins were born my abs have been a mess.

    Anyway, that was pretty much a novel so I'll just wish you good luck! I'll be watching and trying to pick up tips from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say thank you. I have been desperately wanting a Wii Fit. This was the week I was going to buy it (on sale at Target) but you have talked me out of it. I had no idea that it calculated your fitness age, and I have no desire to know mine. Denial, that's where I'm at! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete