Monday, February 16, 2009

All you gotta do is ask

Sometime around the beginning of October I usually start asking my kids what their little hearts desire for Christmas.
From Caleb and Stella I quickly get lists. Complete with a power point presentation and a pie-chart allowing me to see order of importance and such. Catalogs are reviewed and revisited several times until the decisions are firm and in a notarized letter to Santa.
Miles. Not so much. He is a man of few words that one.
That doesn't stop me from asking and suggesting, only to be met often with "No thank you Mom."
After several weeks of asking, all the kid had requested was, "Some white paper." Sweet. Done.
However, one package of white paper under the tree for Miles would leave the other kids to wonder what bad deed could have been so unspeakable as to cause Santa to leave such a bogus gift for their brother.
I racked my brain, but I refused to buy stuff just so he would have 'something' under the tree.
Then one day in early November Miles walked up to me and said, "A brown and white puppy, Mom."
"What puppy Miles."
"I want a brown and white puppy."
We lost our brown and white dog in July. He passed due to age and illness. He was a beloved pet. My husband had a picture of the dog on his cell phone. Miles asked for the phone every night when my husband came home from work. He would look at the picture and inquire again, "Lewis in Heaven Mom?"
Every night. For months.
So, I went shopping. At a farm. Brown and white puppy. Check.
Because pups don't wrap well and because when someone you love asks for so little you just want to give them everything, the brown and white puppy became a Thanksgiving Day gift.
The white paper under the tree would just have to do.
The day the puppy arrived Miles, as usually, asked for the hubby's phone. He showed the new pup the picture.
He has some big paws to fill.




Miles and the pup! Love at first cuddle.

The Pup is getting bigger. He is NEVER allowed on the couch! Never. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment