Thursday, March 5, 2009

What Expiration Date?

Today, I was going to write about my MIL and her unwillingness to accept expiration dates. I love my MIL. She is great and would do anything for myself or the kids.
I worry that some day she will come across this blog and her feelings would be hurt if she read what I was going to write.
So, I will just say that she does not believe in expiration dates. For anything. Milk, meat, cheese. If it has been frozen, it is good. I recently saw some chicken from 1994 in her freezer. 15 year old chicken. Yummy.
Recently, she discovered the little green bags. As seen on t.v.. Bananas last indefinitely. You know the ones.
She bought me some and I tried them out. The strawberries did last longer, but they got strangely hard.
In my mind I pictured some weird space-aged chemical seeping from the bags into my strawberries keeping them from aging. Years from now I would notice that the children were not aging, due to the high amounts of the anti-aging chemicals they had ingested by eating 'fresh' fruit.
I couldn't do it. I couldn't keep my berries from aging. I had to let them go naturally.
I am afraid my MIL is going to buy these bags in bulk. I am afraid we are going to go over one day and everything in the fridge and pantry will be 'green-bagged'. I bet she could get one more year out of her 2001 mayo if it's in the green bag.

2 comments:

  1. Hah! My Grandmother is the same way. She sent grape juice home with my kids from their last visit that expired in 1997...and yes, it was open!!! Wow...I never would have thought it was common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father is the same way and my mother has given up on going through the stuff he has. They are moving soon and she can't wait to throw stuff out. I do love the green bags, but in my opinion they don't work for everything. Berries don't work well in them and I don't think bananas do either. Lettuce, grapes, cabbage, carrots, most veggies do well though and really do last longer. Berries go so quickly for us that it isn't a biggie.

    ReplyDelete