Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More Thoughts From The Beast

The Beast came to me while I was cooking dinner yesterday and started in on a conversation that we have had multiple times. Only this time she had props to prove her point that I was unaware of until she whipped them out. Here is how it played out.
Me: Cooking dinner and yelling out the window for Caleb and half of the neighborhood kids to STOP filling the sandbox with water and yelling that no it is not okay to douse the pup with water even if he seems to enjoy it. WTF. Where do all of these kids come from? Wondering where the hell the hubby disappeared to?
Beast: Mom. What color am I?
Me: I don't know Beast. White I guess.
Beast: now holding a white crayon against her skin. I am NOT white.
Me: she has me here. While we are a truly pasty bunch we are not crayon white. Ummmm...
Beast: I want to be brown. Like Camryn. now the brown crayon is out
Me: Beast, we can't change the color of our skin. God made us this way and this is the way we will always look. unfortunately for The Beast I own stock in sun-screen and use it liberally.
Beast: Does God knowed I want to be brown?
Me: I am sure he does.
Beast: Does God knowed that I don't have a crayon that is my color? What color am I?
Me: stop cooking and go grab the crayon box. Find the apricot crayon. Give the crayon to The Beast. Here. You're officially apricot.
Beast: I can't wait to tell Camryn.

4 comments:

  1. We have many conversations like that in our house. My husband is from Iran and two of our children are dark like him (my older daughter is darker actually) and two that are light like me, one is smack dab in the middle.

    It is great to hear how other Mommies answer questions like those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you document conversations with the Beast. these are stories of a lifetime. you guys are going to look back and laugh so hard. tell your little apricot child that God made her the perfect color to go with her beautiful eyes and brown would have clashed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her conversations lend themselves to being note-worthy. She has questions and rants that the boys have never had. I am not sure if it is girl thing or just The Beast.
    She keeps us on our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. I hate that we don't have a crayon that's the right color. CRAYOLA: How about a box of skin tones? I'd totally buy it, you know every teacher out there would buy it, and probably nearly every parent would buy it.

    It's adorable that she's apricot and that she was so excited to have a name for her skin color!

    ReplyDelete