Friday, April 3, 2009

Happy Autism Awareness Month




Here it is already April 3RD and I haven't even wished you a happy Autism Awareness month. Shame on me.
We have so much to be thankful for. Our beautiful boy has come so far in the last several years. He has a long road ahead of him, but he has what it takes to rise to the challenge of whatever autism brings to the table. Game on.
He teaches me new things everyday. He has brought a layer to my life that would have gone forever unknown had it not been for this kid. He makes me a better person.
He is funny and loving and consistently wins the hearts of anybody lucky enough to know him.
In an ideal world there would be no Autism Awareness month, because there would be no Autism. This world does not work that way.
I can deal with autism because of him. He makes the worst days worth it. If he can do it so can I. It is with his small boy hand that he reaches out, touches my heart and says, "Come on Mom, we can beat this thing together."

4 comments:

  1. Both of you are damn right you can.

    and he is such a cutie...how could anyone not get their heart stolen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have several autistic children at our school, and I'm always more impressed with what they CAN do as opposed to what their challenges may be. Talk About Curing Autism is among my favorite charities, and I'd encourage everyone to educate themselves on how children and families are affected.

    Kim, you might want to check out this post of mine (http://cdmauger.blogspot.com/2009/03/hey-youre-bald.html) regarding one of our school's autistic children. He's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took care of a newly diagnosed diabetic kindergartner today when I filled in at another school. He was the cutest thing and different in a really cool way. He had to sit in my lap for me to do his finger stick and I was rather taken aback. As a school nurse, you'd think I wouldn't be surprised by anything but I was out of my element there. He gave me more love in five minutes that I knew was possible. I mentioned him to the counselor and she said he was also autistic. And I thought...Oh,how neat. Which was weird because it isn't neat...but then, maybe it IS neat.

    Happy Birthday to your Miles! I'm sure he's warming plenty of hearts everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you described this. Beating autism together. He really is such a beautiful boy, not only his features, but he has a sweet look about his face. I'm sure you know how he is beautiful in much deeper ways too. Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete