Thursday, April 23, 2009

At Least the Extra Money will pay for the Groceries

I woke up this morning with some nausea. I know exactly what it is from. My lack of ability to just say "No."
I think I must have been smokin' some wacky-tabacky because I find myself having agreed to watching two more kiddos two days a week.
I know there are those moms out there who have 4+ children of their very own and may scoff at my shuddering at the thought of having extra small people around the house, but I am shuddering.
Stella is beside herself with excitement. One of the newbies is a little girl. Age 4. Stella's dream date. The other little guy I was already somewhat reluctantly watching is also super excited. The second newbie is a little boy. Age 3. Perfect.
In my defense it was difficult to say no when the mom of the newbies showed up unannounced on my doorstep. (I had been given her number, but 'misplaced' it). Begging. Her sitter decided to only watch kids three days a week. Without notice. In the middle of the school year. The newbies' mom is a special education teacher at the school right behind us. Have I mentioned that I hold a special place in my heart for those wonderful souls who work with special needs kiddos? Sigh. I couldn't say no.
The school year is really almost over. I can do anything for 7 weeks. Stella and the little guy are super excited for their new 'friends'. These are the things that I say in my head to cure the nausea.
I enjoy working with kids. I love helping out families. I struggle with change. The thought of two extra kids being drop off at my home while I am using cattle prods on my own herd just to get through breakfast is a bit daunting.
Once I get the first day under my belt I will be fine. By then it won't feel like change, just routine.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I've thought seriously that if I can't pick up extra nursing shifts over the summer that I should watch someone else's wee small children. Then, like you, I get very, very nauseous. It's like an acute psuedo-pregnancy response, I think. I'm with you, though. I think you can do anything for 7 weeks AND it's probably not going to be THAT bad. but if it turns out to be, don't blame me. I'm just a lowly commenter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were pregnant when I started reading this!!

    I am still impressed with all you do. I think you have as strong a work ethic as you say your husband has. I hope you see this in yourself and know you have a gracious heart as well. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete