Monday, April 6, 2009

A good Question

One of the questions I get most often in regards to Miles is how I think he 'got' his autism.
Was he born with it?
Do you think his vaccinations caused it?
It is the wheat and dairy?
The truth is I am not 100% certain. I of course have my theories. They are not always the most popular theories, but I say until you can show me different, this is what I am going with.
Discussing the causes of autism can become as heated a discussion as pro-life vs. pro-choice. People have their ideas and there is no changing them. No middle ground. Maybe I can see it your way since you have experienced it first hand, not so much.
The fact is my pregnancy with Miles was very healthy and he was born without much fuss and zero pain medication.
He was a happy thriving baby boy hitting all of his milestones. He sat-up, crawled, walked, babbled and would look me in the eyes.
Until he stopped. He lost his babbling and his words. He became cranky and intolerant of too much contact. He did not loose any motor skills, but sought constant sensory input. He head-butted anything and everyone.
All of this happened shortly after his MMR vaccination. I believe it was the tipping point. His body finally reacted and could not take in anymore toxins.
While I was pregnant with Miles I had the much recommended flu-shot. I also had my amalgam fillings changed out for the white composit ones.
It is my belief that these were his first exposures to the heavy metals that his body could not handle.
I know what you are thinking. My kids were vaccinated and they are fine.
Of course not every chain-smoker gets lung cancer. Not every obese person gets diabetes. Every ones bodies deal with toxins differently.
I don't think Miles' body deals well with toxins. I think he doesn't 'kick them out' of his system like you or I would. His body stores them. Unable to get rid of them, they start to create road blocks. They create permanent damage.
I am not a doctor. I am not a nurse. I have done enough reading and research and seeking of answers that I feel confident in my theory.
We did finally find a pediatrician that allows me to have my theory. She agrees to occasionally disagree with me without treating me like I am crazy. She has not insisted I vaccinate my son any further. She did not kick me out of the practice for my refusal.
I promise to revisit the idea of possibly vaccinating in a few years. I run the supplements that we give Miles by her. I listen to and respect her opinion. She respects mine.
It is the best case scenario for us right now. No one knows for sure what causes autism. It is unbelievably frustrating. Not knowing for sure.
We have been treating Miles based on the toxin/heavy metal overload theory. We are careful, cautious and respectful of him and his body. He also gets a lot of traditional therapy. He is responding. Slowly. We are happy with that.

5 comments:

  1. This is a good answer to a good question. I respect your position and opinion. I've heard so many parent's stories and it always makes me search for that common denominator in all of them. I admit that most who have children diagnosed with mild to moderate autism or Asperger's, describe a baby developing normally until one day, Poof! baby begins to change. I would very much like to be involved in research in this area of study.

    Thank you for telling us your side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I mentioned lately how very awesome I think you are?

    All doctors should respect the opinions and beliefs of their patients, not ask "who here has the medical degree?" While I understand that doctors have knowledge that I do not, I also believe that as patients (and mothers of patients) we know our own bodies (and those of our children) better than the doctors do.

    I am wondering what you think of delayed vaccination schedules? I understand that you may not want to answer, but I am curious as to where you stand on that. Not so much because you have an autistic child, but rather because you are well read on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finding an open-minded pediatrician! They are few and far between - at least, in our area. We have yet to find one, as a matter of fact. We will be seeing a DAN! physician soon and of course they are open-minded, but all the DAN! physicians unfortunately are booked solid and cannot take on new patients for routine things that are unrelated to DAN!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The not knowing has to be one of the hardest parts. I really hope that research increases and an answer is found. In the mean time, my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you. For one thing, I sort of favor this theory on autism anyway -- like you said, not every smoker gets lung cancer. And if there could be several causes of autism, that could really throw people off.

    But also, I'm a huge believer in a mother (or father) being the expert on their own child. You feel these unseen currents that run under the surface, and a doctor will never have that insight. So the people who think their kids' autism was caused by something else are probably right. But if you think the heavy metal exposure is what caused it for Miles, I'd say you're spot on.

    ReplyDelete