Thursday, January 29, 2009

Milking the System.

My oldest son Caleb has found a way to make himself some money.
He came to me like he does at least once a week to complain about our obvious lack of concern for his well-being which is illustrated through our refusal to buy him whatever he wants at any given moment.
This week it was more Bakugans. Some insane toy that starts as ball and when thrown pops open to show a score. My husband says Bakugan translates roughly to 'Americans will buy anything'.
Anyway. After our usual exchange where he proclaims abuse and neglect and I proclaim a serious lack of funds. (Do you think your Dad drives drunks around every weekend in the limo just for shits and giggles kid?). He tells me that at least he is getting his $2.50 a week.
Huh? $2.50? What is this all about? I don't give him an allowance. Unfortunately for him, irritating the younger siblings and whipping everyone into a crazy frenzy doesn't pay.
So I ask him where he is getting his money. Apparently, there are a lot of kids at his school who don't drink the milk that comes with their school lunch. The duty aides, annoyed by all of the waste, started having the kids who won't drink their milk set it on a table for other kids who will drink the milk to take for themselves.
My son takes a packed lunch, but also takes .50 cents a day for milk. He figured why should he let all of that cast off milk go to waste when he could drink as much of it as he wanted and save his .50cents a day.
I couldn't decide whether or not I was irritated, but really with all the thought he put to it I couldn't be mad. So, he gets to keep his $2.50 a week now with the understanding that if there is no 'free' milk available he is to use his .50 cents to buy some.
I don't think I would have ever been that smart at his age. I would have been too embarassed to take the 'free' milk. Now, I am proud that he found a bargin for himself. That's my boy.

Also, I wanted to mention after rereading my last post. I guess I tend to cuss some. Please try not to be offended. Rest assured that while I could probably make a trucker blush, I don't ever cuss in front of my kids. I even teach Sunday school. Seriously. I don't cuss there either.

1 comment: