Friday, October 23, 2009

The Hiney Flu is Here

We are on day 10 of our battle with the H1N1 flu. This is not a confirmed case. However, our doctor said that is 'probably' what we have going on.
My Grandma calls it the 'heiny flu'. She is pretty much so deaf and has closed caption on her television. When she sees H1N1, she reads it as hini, and calls it the 'heiny flu'.
I think this may be an appropriate name for this flu, as it has indeed been a pain in my heiny.
Caleb was the first to go down, and he went hard. He ran a fever for several days that reached over 103 and was barely effected by Tylenol. He is allergic to ibuprofen, so Tylenol is our only choice. He mostly just slept, and when he woke up he complained that every part of his body hurt. He looked miserable.
Miles fell next, but went down kicking and screaming. He would take his Motrin or Tylenol and then insist he was good to go. I would find him face down in the carpet a few hours later, burning up, but not willing to go to bed. He would just lay on the floor, near his toys, relentless in his need to play. He told me he was 'broken down'.
Stella was, of course, next and has been very high maintenance. Apparently, the heiny flu had an impact on her ability to walk, because I have been carrying her around the house for the past four days. At least I am finally getting some exercise.
I have washed a lot of sheets and blankets, and powered through many containers of Clorox wipes.
I have been in my pajamas for days.
We have a pile of missed homework to plow through this weekend.
If this was indeed the H1N1 virus, I must say, that it was not as bad as I have heard it rumored to be.
We have the luxury of being close with our pediatrician, and being able to call her on a moments notice helped to calm my fears when fevers seemed to go on and on.
We are now in the stage of, still not feeling quite ourselves, but feeling good enough to fight and whine. Super.
I called my neighbor and talked her into going to a bazaar with me tomorrow. I am pretty sure if I don't get out of the house, I will loose it.
So, that is my plan. Get out. Enjoy the company of an adult. Then come home and finish my fight with the heiny flu.

5 comments:

  1. Oh geez. I hope you are all better soon. That sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow... and what about you? Are you next? Hope everyone is feeling up to par real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong girl! We also 'probably' had H1N1 and I managed to not even get sick (knocking hard on the computer desk) so enjoy your day out and think 'well' thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the thing about H1N1. It ISN'T as serious as we are afraid of until it gets ahold of the right kid at the right time. We are still grappling with whether to vaccinate or not. I really don't want to. We did have the seasonal flu vaccine. We'll see what happens. I notice you've mentioned no sickness for you or the hubs.

    Good luck! And we hope you ALL feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all for your well wishes. We are on the mend.
    ATT--I still wouldn't get the vaccine for my kiddos. My pediatricain is even waivering for her kids and that says a lot for me.

    ReplyDelete