Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Can you hear me now?

There are all kinds of reasons why I hate going to urgent care. My co-pay is higher, the people in the waiting area seem sicker and the doctors seem like they would rather be just about anywhere else in the world.
So, when Miles stuck a bb in his ear the other night, I quickly weighed my options.
* leave the bb and play dumb until my husband is around to go with him and sit in the urgent care.
* try to fish is out myself.
* heck, the Dyson has some serious suction, I could always......
Although I seriously thought about the vacuum and even held it up to my ear to see if it would hurt, (it kind of did). I thought I would rather go to the urgent care to get a bb out than have to explain why my son had a bb in his ear and his eardrum had been sucked from his head.
Also, the other kids knew about the bb, so I figured they would call me out if I tried to play dumb and pass the job to Dad.
Three hours later after sitting as far as possible from all the mask wearing, feverish, flu symptomatic sickos, we got our call to see the doctor.
She came in and I think she was like 14 years old, and she says, "I hear someone has something suck in their ear, which one of you gets to see my cool 'light-saber'?"
I thought she was kidding, but she made no move towards Miles, so I kindly directed her away from me and toward my 7 year old son.
Really? Do you think they get a lot of adults in the Children's urgent care to have bbs dislodged from their ears? Apparently.
For the record, her 'light-saber' was cool. It was a little wand that glowed so she could see into the ear while she was fishing out the bb.
But then she stumped me again when she handed the glow stick to my son. Which he promptly stuck into his ear.
If he busts his eardrum, they better not charge me another co-pay.

3 comments:

  1. My new love affair with the urgent care center is in part because we don't have a copay there because we have federal insurance. The second reason is because when I'm having an "I'm a hypochondriac" kind of moment, I can easily (too easily) talk them out of antibiotics. My doctor asks questions like, "so what did you watch on cable last week?" Or, "what book are you reading?" Then he says things like, "Mrs. Soandso you know that if you take antibiotics all the time, you'll build up an immunity and then they won't work when you really need them to." Logic is never enough for a hypochondriac. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he's okay! I've never had luck with urgent care either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From having been through training- most (not all) of the docs who work at urgent care places are 2nd-3rd year residents.

    ReplyDelete