Saturday, July 25, 2009

Top Five List

Top five ways that I make Autism work for our family:

1. When the caller id shows a 1-800 number I let Miles answer the phone. The conversation that follows goes something like this:
Miles: "Hello? HELLO?"
Miles: "I have a Mom. Hello?"
Miles: "Welcome to Miles' house."
Miles: "Ummm, I fine. Yes. I have a mom."
Miles: "DAAAD. MOOOOOM. Yep. Okay."
Miles: "Yep. I find Nemo. Can you say Dori?"
Miles: "What color Dori? Say Blue."
Miles: "Good-bye"

2. I happen to show Miles how he can scrub the grout in the shower with a tooth brush and it comes clean. Occupies his OCD (and mine) for hours.

3. Entertain myself and the kids by allowing Miles to 'flap' too close to the children of overly protective moms at the park.

4. Dad can be easily convinced to eat at Pei Wei due to the GF menu.

5. Great excuse to surround ourselves with cool people who never cease to amaze me with their ability to positively affect my boy!

4 comments:

  1. Now who is the fun Mom?

    When my husband and I first married, his accent was much thicker than it is now. I always let him answer the phone, sales people would hang up on him right and left because they couldn't understand a word he said. Sadly, years of me making him pronounce words correctly have made his accent much lighter so this no longer works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love #1! We didn't have caller id for a long time so my husband took to always answering the phone in a crazy, grumpy, old man voice just in case it was a telemarketer. It was great for the telemarketers but greatly confused and scared away real callers who actually know us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Especially the part about the overly protective moms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! You've gotta find that stuff. At disney world/land (can never get that strait. the one in Florida,) we get to go to the front of all the lines because of the wheelchair. Glen and his cousins are like, "Clay is AWESOME!"

    ReplyDelete