Sunday, November 15, 2009

Then the wrath of God struck the bad Sunday school teacher down...

Oh, Sundays. I have very little affection for Sundays. I wish I could say that I love herding my kids off to church mostly against their will and that I love teaching Sunday school and I get a big kick out of trying to catch up on laundry and I wish doing homework, that has been left for the last minute, with three kids, was a hoot for me, but it's not.
Today church was really bad. We have a new director of children's ministries and she felt the need to team teach with me. I think she was observing me. Awesome.
I struggle 'teaching' in front of other adults. I am not a fan of talking a lot in front of other adults and unfortunately teaching requires one to speak.
Oh, and there is the little matter of how I don't agree with all of the lessons hammered out in the old testament, and I prefer to skim over things rather than explain how God brought his wrath down on those who chose not to believe in him.
When kids ask questions about what happened to all of the people who lived in the city of Jericho when the walls came down, I would rather sugar-coat it, and not explain that as non-believers they met with the wrath of God.
I don't know whether or not I lived up to her standards, but I hate to tell her I have been teaching for the past 6 years because they can't find another sucker, I mean good Christian, to teach.

Anyway. My hubby is face down on the couch. Sacked out. He rolled in from his limo run around 3:30am and then had to play in the band at church. I envy his ability to sleep anywhere at anytime. He feel asleep in a bar once. Not passed out, he actually dozed off while we were with a group of friends listening to a live band. He is a serious sleeper.

I am going to go upstairs now and try to convince Miles that homework is super fun. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Once you get Miles convinced, could you try me? I hate homework. I hated mine. I hate theirs. Homework is very sucky IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel really bad for your husband and the lack of sleep. And I feel really bad for you with the church attendance. It took me years of detox to stop hating Sundays. (Not that I think you shouldn't go or anything! I just recognize the extreme effort involved and commend you for that, because I couldn't do it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mercy me. Sunday School teacher observance. What has the world come to? You just keep on like you always do. I bet you are really good at it, just the way you do it. My husband fell asleep on every page while reading a book to the kids the other night. I know what you mean there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate a Sunday school teacher who isn't a fan of terrifying my kids. As a lesson on Sun. they try to tie my daughter's hands together to show her what it felt like to be persecuted. Nice. She was the only 3 year old who was smart enough not to comply. This was not the only time, but one of a few. Needless to say, I haven't gone back in months! Good luck!
    P/S Bro is safe for now;)

    ReplyDelete