Saturday, November 14, 2009

I heart Ben and other random tidbits

I have been trying so hard, most likely way too hard, to try and think of something to write about everyday. I am not doing well.
It's not that nothing interesting has been happening, it just all seems a bit blah.
I did go to a Ben Folds concert a few weeks ago. It was everything opposite of blah. He rocked. I love how he plays the piano. He stands up and well he rocks. We saw him with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, it was a gift from my hubby for our 11 years of marriage.
Was it wrong that I was crushing on Ben, while celebrating 11 years of marriage to my hubby? I am a sucker for a boy and a piano, or guitar, or violin, okay pretty much any instrument makes me a little swoonish.
Ben played with the orchestra until they tired of him and then he played on his own once the orchestra had retired for the evening. I had an awesome time. Thank you hubby.

This week we had parent teacher conferences. I find it excruciatingly hard to not make excuses for my offspring as I sit across from their teachers and listen to what they have to say about my kids.
Kindergarten is especially hard because they put you in those tiny kindergarten chairs and you are physically and mentally uncomfortable. It's like a crazy form of kindergarten torture.
In truth, the conferences went fairly well. All of the kids have areas where they could use some work, but I have learned to expect that.
I think having kids made me realize how wonderful imperfection can be. My kids are far from perfect and yet I couldn't love them more or be more proud of the people they are becoming.
My oldest can't spell. I have to take full credit for that. I can't spell to save my life. It is like I have a block on certain words and no matter how many times I write that word I am never quite sure how it is spelled.
His teacher said in her opinion by 4TH grade you can either spell or you can't, but don't give up. I thought it was a weird thing to say considering my son is a 4TH grader and all. Thank God, I have embraced imperfection.
Miles just came downstairs dragging pillows and a blanket and he is doing this thing where he has both sides of a conversation. He is saying something about how he is going to sleep on the couch and I am apparently giving him permission, because he just said "Thanks, Mom. That makes me so happy."
"You're welcome?"

The hubby was not supposed to have to work today. Then he had to work from noon until 4. Then noon until 9. Then he called around 9:30 and said someone had called for a limo from 10 until 4. So, he ended up working today. Bummer.

Have your kids started making their Christmas lists yet? Mine have. The top item on Caleb's list is an Easy Bake Oven. He thinks it would be awesome to be able to cook a cake in his room. I love it. He is that kid who can go from talking smack about baseball to making cupcakes in one fell swoop.
Love it.

3 comments:

  1. We had a bad experience with an easy bake oven... ah, here it is! http://www.selfconsciouslyunaffected.com/2008/03/ah-taste-of-baby-diapers.html

    I LOVE Ben Folds. I feel so happy when I listen to his music. I think it's really sweet that you guys got to go to the concert together for your anniversary. And happy anniversary!

    I like hearing your perspective on conferences. I haven't had a lot of experience -- A. barely talked during kindergarten, and has only just warmed up to (and started getting in trouble with) her 1st grade teacher.

    You're awesome. Have I told you how glad I am that you're blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why the kindergartens don't get some grown up chairs for the conferences. I've never really thought about it until you said that. That is crazy.

    I love this post. It just has so many fun little bits in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I would have agreed with you about the kindergarten chairs, this year I have been humbled by the middle school chair/desk combo that I had to sit in for my oldest's conference. I swear to you, I didn't hear a word she said, I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to get back out from behind the desk.

    ReplyDelete